RESOURCES: Some key sources for a better understanding of the crisis in Syria
Syriadeeply.org is a news site designed to provide you with a complete understanding of the Syrian conflict from all angles, including all the major players, issues and drivers of the civil war. The editors and contributors are working around-the-clock to bring comprehensive coverage and more clarity about the worst humanitarian crisis of our time.
"We Crossed a Bridge and It Trembled" by Wendy Pearlman. A critical resource that gives voice to the voiceless Syrians.
"Burning Country" by Robin Yassin-Kassab and Leila Al-Shami. A very readable history of the roots of the conflict and its course to date
"The Crossing: My Journey to the Shattered Heart of Syria" - Samar Yazbek a powerful personal tale by a Syrian journalist
"The Home That Was Our Country: A Memoir of Syria" by Alia Malek
"The Impossible Revolution" by Yassin al-Haj Saleh, a serious analysis by a leading Syrian intellectual and revolutionary
All are available from Barnes and Noble, Powell Books, Amazon, and a good local bookstore.
syriadirect.org is a non-profit journalism organization that produces timely, credible coverage of Syria while training highly talented, aspiring Syrian and American journalists in professional news-gathering and accurate, in-depth reporting.
The following blogs, websites, twitter accounts and facebook pages are some of the many voices of Syrians. It is imperative for serious peace activists to hear what Syrians are thinking and saying about the conflict that embodies their land:
- www.yassinhs.com The blog of Yassin Al Haj Salah, a Syrian writer, intellectual, dissident and former political prisoner. He remained in prison for 16 years and 14 days, subsequently living underground in Syria then in exile in Turkey.
- @RamiJarah The twitter account of Rami Jarah, Syrian war journalist and media activist.
- https://www.facebook.com/ramijarah?fref=ts The Facebook page of Rami Jarah, also known as Alexander Page.
- https://www.facebook.com/robin.yassinkassab The Facebook page of Robin Yassin-Kassab, journalist and author.
- https://leilashami.wordpress.com/author/leilashami/ The blog of Leila Al-Shami, Syrian-British author and activist.
- http://www.presidentassad.net/ The website of the leading mass murderer of the 21st Century
- http://en.etilaf.org/ The website of the National Coalition of Syrian Revolution and Opposition Forces
syriasources.org is a comprehensive collection of films, books, articles, reports, solidarity groups, videos, aid projects and more in the English language. It is an excellent resource on the origins and development of the conflict in Syria.
Interview with Wendy Pearlman, author of "We Crossed a Bridge and It Trembled: Voices from Syria" July 2017